Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Please can you help, I have a white boxer 7and a half years

Customer Question

Please can you help, I have a white boxer 7and a half years old, has a heart murmur, but at the moment he has got bad ear infections in both ears, putting ear drops in morning and night, my problem is he is pacing up and down the garden and around the house an panting all the time, is he suffering? what should I do? he is taking antibiotics.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
These infections can be very uncomfortable. I would ask your veterinarian for some pain medication such as Tramadol. Or, if you have any at home, you can give one tablet every eight hours for pain management. If you don't have tramadol, you can give one adult buffered aspirin every 12 hours as needed for pain management. I would make a solution out of Betadine and water in a 50-50 mixture and flush that into that ears once a day before you give the medication. If there is no improvement in three or four days, I would see your veterinarian again. You can also try giving Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound twice daily to see if that helps with the itching and discomfort.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the advise his vet said he needed a heart scan, so I thought I would see what another vet would think, so thank you very much, as I do not want to stress him anymore than what he is, thank you for your time and advise.

You are most welcome. I do agree with your vet that eventually he will need an echocardiogram of his heart, but let's get the ear situation handled first. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took our white boxer Dempsey to another vet for a second opinion, as he was not responding to pain killers or antibiotics, this was on Friday the 3rd October, he was then diagnosed with a brain tumour, how on earth could the first vet miss that,

we had to take him back yesterday, as he was so ill, he was put to sleep due to the distress and pin he was in, his ears were fine. What can I do?

Often times, in boxers, cancer can come on suddenly, especially in the brain. And the symptoms can be subtle at first. It is possible that the diagnosis became simple only recently, so I would not jump to discredit your veterinarian. I am so sorry that you had to put your dog down. Since we have not spoken about your dog since January, I suspect there probably was an ear infection back then, but there is really no way to know for certain, so you probably will have no legal recourse. I am so sorry. Take care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It wasn't January it was October 1st when I first got in touch, his symptoms were the same, there was no ear infection

Oh, sorry! You guys write your dates different over there. I answer so many questions every day that I had completely forgotten and that I answered this one just a few days ago. Sorry! Yes, it is a little odd that your vet was treating an ear infection that didn't exist. I would have an open and honest conversation with your veterinarian about this, and see what he or she says. If that goes nowhere, if you want to pursue things further, you would need to contact the veterinary licensing board over there. I am not sure how things work over in the UK, but you should be able to look it up. Best of luck.