Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has had terrible, death inducing, wind since he was

My dog has had terrible, death inducing, wind since he was given a cooked knuckle bone on Sunday. This has since been taken off him as he has been sick every morning since - not the usual doggy sick when eating grass but the other, horrible stinky sick when a dog has overeaten type! Is there anything I should be unduly concerned over?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he swallowed the bone?
2- Are his bowel movements normal?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot see that he swallowed any of the bone, I deliberately get large ones so that it is more of a tooth cleaning exercise! He has been fine as far as his bowel movements are concerned. Sorry I am not sure of his exact weight but when he was last at the vets they said he was 1.5kg heavier than he should be for a dog of his size. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is he lethargic?
2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive not noticed anything other than initially mentioned. He's a funny little character who tells me when to go to bed and then gets me up at 1 in the morning, then again at 3 so his habits have not changed! As far as I am aware he has no other symptoms. The reason I am querying is that he very rarely has smelly wind and, like most dogs, very rarely is he sick other than when he eats grass which isn't very often. My own thoughts are that it has just been too rich for him as I have had him on a special diet to (a) reduce his weight (overly kind in-laws I am afraid) and (b) to aid with his anal gland problems. He gets Naturesdiet to eat (a quarter of a tub in the morning and again at night) and one dentistix everyday. His only other treats are markies biscuits and now and again he has cooked beef/chicken bits.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Michelle, you are right that the wind and vomit could be related to the bone. There could also be an imbalance in his gastrointestinal tract between the friendly and unfriendly bacterias. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any chemist.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora; these are friendly bacterias that help reduce the production of gas. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online.
5- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your time. I will definitely do as suggested and hopefully he will not be taking a visit to his vet. All the best.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Michelle.