Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my dogs had a wound stitched a day ago one of the stitches

my dogs had a wound stitched a day ago one of the stitches has come out leaving wound open , quite a wide gap, what can i do until i can phone vet tomorrow
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to assist you today.

As you might expect, this particular problem is not an uncommon one when it comes to our pets.

The most important thing is to prevent your dog from licking at the wound, if at all possible. until you have have your vet reevaluate the area. This means that he/she may need to wear a cone although they certainly won't thank me for suggesting it!

You can gently clean the area with dilute, over the counter Betadine or iodine (to the color of weak tea) or even warm water. Hydrogen peroxide has actually been shown to retard healing so it's not advised.

After the area has dried, then you can apply a small amount of over the counter antibacterial ointment or cream such as we would use on a wound for ourselves.

It's quite possible that your vet will leave the area open to heal as what's known as an open wound or they may decide that it would be best to resuture the area or possibly even staple it closed.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your dog. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.