Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog has abad cough and my vet wants to do some examinations

My dog has abad cough and my vet wants to do some examinations b ut the cost somes high , I have insurance but their bill is £952 for estimate for blood test, urine analysis sedation to X-ray + ultra sound of heart do you think I am being used to make money, I am a 79 yr old pensioner and I would have to pay £300 of this \estimate
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Bouncer's coughing. Has your vet heard a heart murmur on their initial evaluation? Did they take any chest x-rays yet or that is what they are wanting to do with all the other work up? Have you been using this vet in the past for Bouncer's care?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes they say he has a heart murmer ,no x.rays or any other work has been done yet this is my local vet and have used for a long number of years.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
That is good that you've used this vet for that period of time. Being familiar with them should help you to know what their practice style is. They have been there in the past to provide care for Bouncer and now that he's having this issue with the cough / his heart murmur, they are in the position to further help him out. Honestly, every veterinarian is in a position to provide the best care for the pets that are brought to them. It is their responsibility to present the best care plan to the owners that are coming to them. Now in saying that, can every owner pursue that best care plan based on costs? No. If an owner hits a point where financially they can't do every test that is presented, then it is their responsibility to let their vet know where they can go financially. You should talk to your vet and let them know financially where you can / are able to go. They will want to know what you can do so they can maximize the tests that they have so they can do the most important ones. I practice ER medicine and I will present the best options to owners for treating their pet. Then the owners let me know what they can do and I pick the tests I feel are going to help me treat the pet the best at that time.
Your vet isn't trying to just make a dollar from you. Every good vet is trying to maximize how they can help a pet to be with their owner the longest time with the best quality of life.