Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

came home yesterday after a shopping trip, gone 4 hrs. my dog

came home yesterday after a shopping trip, gone 4 hrs. my dog 7yr mongrel,(looks like a staffie/border) who normally is a nutter, came down the stairs with wobbly hind legs. He is not in pain have prodded pulled legs, felt all down the spine, just wags tell like normal. like he is drunk. really happy in his self eating drinking etc cant get on sofa very well. its all a bit of a shock.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

This is strange indeed!

Dr. Susan :

Is it just the hind limbs, or are his front limbs affected as well?

Customer:

just the hind legs

Dr. Susan :

From what you have described, it seems we can at least localize the lesion to the spinal segments from T3-L3 (the third thoracic to the third lumbar vertebrae).

Dr. Susan :

This can be related to trauma and an intervertebral disk extrusion, but usually that is painful.

Dr. Susan :

You noted no pain while feeling along his back, so that seems less likely.

Customer:

noticed nothing when i was feeling his spine, i was quite rough because i wanted a reaction, he is quite happy to be rubbed stroked etc

Dr. Susan :

I think there are two most likely culprits here: FCE (fibrocartilagenous embolism), or possibly a tumor.

Dr. Susan :

With FCE, the signs begin acutely as they did with Buddy.

Customer:

so what should i do, is there any help i can get as. on a low income. i am frightend to go to the vet and face a huge bill, or worse,

Dr. Susan :

The condition is non-painful, and non-progressive.

Customer:

so leave him be, as long as he is happy.

Dr. Susan :

Yes. You should monitor him for change at this time.

Dr. Susan :

Most dogs with FCE do improve over the next 2 weeks.

Dr. Susan :

If it is FCE, he should NOT get any worse after the first 24 hours.

Customer:

ok thankyou, he is wondering around sniffing out crumbs. so thanks for you help

Dr. Susan :

If he does continue to show more weakness, if it includes his front legs, or even paralysis, I would be worried we have a more serious problem.

Customer:

he seems better, than he did this morning

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Here is a handout to read more about FCE.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

thankyou

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome