Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is unable to stand. When she tries her legs wobble and

My dog is unable to stand. When she tries her legs wobble and she falls over. She is also holding her head to one side. Her eyelids are twitching rapidly. She has been like this for several hours. She is 14 years old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Thank you for the thorough history and so sorry she is having such difficulties

Dr. Altman :

What you describe is vestibular syndrome, CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

Dr. Altman :

Often if you are able to get them through the acute phase of the first few days (if they are not nauseous and vomiting this is easier) then most dogs do show some improvement and resolution in signs

Dr. Altman :

The only known reason for this in dogs is an ear infection but unfortunately in most cases it is called idiopathic or we simply do not know what causes it

Dr. Altman :

In more severe cases where there is nausea and vomiting there might be a need to have some intensive care the first week after signs show up such as fluids and injectable medication to control the signs

Dr. Altman :

But if there is no vomiting and they have an appetite supportive care includes assistance to go outside to the bathroom, keeping food/ water nearby, limiting access to areas of the home where they might injure themselves

Dr. Altman :

But in 75+% of cases I have seen dogs do have moderate improvement of signs in the first week. Unfortunately if there is no change within the first days to week then likely there will be little improvement after this point

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or anything I can clarify for you both today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

Hopefully this format is more readily accessible to you and you can review my responses. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
i apologize, I have an e-mai you have responded yet so no response. If you have additional questions or comments would you mind restating them? Thank you for your patience...
I am available an additional 30 minutes tonight to assist you. Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today. Thank you...if you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time.