Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my 6 month old female puppy cant stop trying to pee?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately urinary tract infections are quite common in young dogs, they have a weakened immune system and are more prone to this type of infection

Dr. Altman :

Until your vet is open tomorrow getting her to drink more by adding water to her food, flavoring her water to entice her to drink will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the spasms of her urethra and bladder sphincter

Dr. Altman :

But often these do require oral antibiotics to resolve

Dr. Altman :

The other possibility is that she has developed crystals or stones and this is not as likely at her age but definitely still on the possibility scale

Dr. Altman :

If you are able to catch a first morning sample tomorrow morning to have your vet evaluate it that would be best to rule out this possibility and get her started on appropriate medications for her symptoms along with some pain medications to help with her discomfort

Dr. Altman :

But often with the first dose of antibiotics they will have relief of their symptoms

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately this is much more common in girl versus boy puppies

Dr. Altman :

Using baby wipes after urination to reduce the discharge will also help

Customer:

ok....will keep her hydrated tonight and take her to the vets in the morning.

Customer:

thanks for the help

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

Do you know if she is dribbling or if anything is coming out?

Dr. Altman :

To have an obstruction in a female would be highly unlikely but we definitely want to make sure she is at least urinating on her own, albeit in little quantities

Customer:

a small amount is coming out

Dr. Altman :

OK as long as she is able to urinate...poor little girl!

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today?

Customer:

shes getting quite bothered by it all

Dr. Altman :

Yes, I don't know if you have had a uti but they are quite uncomfortable

Customer:

I was wondering when she would come heat? is there a time frame?

Dr. Altman :

What breed is she please?

Dr. Altman :

Typically between 5-10 months but really there are no rules

Customer:

shes a wired haired vizsla

Dr. Altman :

Likely ~8-10 months but as early as 6 and as late as 12 months in some dogs

Customer:

ok great

Customer:

Thanks for all your help

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I hope she feels better soon!

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.