Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hi. I have a new puppy. He is a 9 week old pug. I bought him

Hi. I have a new puppy. He is a 9 week old pug. I bought him home 36 hours ago. On the first day he ate 2 small meals ( he also had his morning meal with the breeder) and was happy to eat it all but Today he hasn't eaten a thing or drank any water. Also this evening has started to "dry heave"( 5-6 times). All his poops are normal and he is doing a normal amount if wee's. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

First, congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Altman :

It is very common for puppies to have gi upset after adoption, leaving the only home and family they have ever known going into a new environment is very stressful

Dr. Altman :

This could potentially be something to be concerned about and if it continues overnight then it would be best to have him evaluated by your local veterinarian

Dr. Altman :

If he is vomiting or dry heaving I would not give him access to water right now...we need to let his stomach rest a while to reduce the gi upset

Dr. Altman :

For now, just a small amount of karo or maple syrup on your fingertip and along his gum line to ensure that his glucose or sugar levels do not fall too low without eating for 24 hours. Do this every 2-4 hours tonight

Dr. Altman :

After about 6 hours from the last vomiting episode then small frequent amounts of water, for example 1 tsp hourly then if he is holding that down offering small frequent meals of something bland such as white rice and boiled chicken (again 1 tsp hourly for a few hours then increase the quantity slowly while reducing the frequency). If he does vomit or dry heave again then please remove all food/ water until morning when your veterinary clinic opens to get him seen

Dr. Altman :

But continue the syrup every 2-4 hours just along the gum line, not enough to swallow

Customer: Do you think I should take him to the vets tomorrow?
Dr. Altman :

This could potentially be a stress enteritis or inflammation of the intestinal tract due to the changing of environments or potentially be more serious.

Dr. Altman :

Yes, I think that would be wise, especially if the vomiting continues with my above recommendations

Dr. Altman :

Do my recommendations make sense? Can I clarify anything for you today?

Customer: I'm not sure if I have any maple syrup. Is there any thing else I could use?
Dr. Altman :

Honey will also work

Customer: Ok. I will do that right now and see if he is better in the morning. Thank you xx
Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, only along the gum lines, not enough to swallow and upset the stomach

Dr. Altman :

Good luck to you both, enjoy your new addition :)

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.