Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, I have a west highland x bichon, she is ten years old and

Hi, I have a west highland x bichon, she is ten years old and has , small lumps on skin they look like tags or ticks only that they are not, they some times they bleed and are over her, and round her bottom and they make her scratch, hope you can help me thank you JOAN
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Joan. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she had these skin tags?
2- Are they firmly attach to the underlying tissue or loose?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for your reply, shes had them some time and they are rooted to the skin, she licks her paws which have gone brown, her bottom is the same and is always dirty and I have to wash when she has a poo, because they are there as well, hope this helps, thank you Joan

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Joan, the skin tags you describe are commonly called as you called them: "Skin Tags." These are benign non-cancerous tumors of the skin, we don't know why they occur. Typically we recommend to leave them alone unless they become irritated, at that point we recommend surgical removal of the growth.
I would recommend you discuss with your family veterinarian for complete surgical removal. In the meantime, you need to stop her from licking/gnawing at them. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking. In addition, you can apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin on the irritated skin tag.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter