Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My two years old cairn terrier has lost is undercoat. Is it

My two years old cairn terrier has lost is undercoat. Is it normal and will it grow again. He is health and has no skin problem . Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Well, I would say there is absolutely no reason for the coat not to come back. Many pets will have substantial changes in their coat as they age and with seasonal changes.
Assuming, there are no other issues like underlying allergies, mange (demodex or scabies mites), or some endocrine condition (which would not be expected at this age), yes, the coat should return over time.
If you are observing any excessive licking or chewing of the legs or especially of the paws, that could suggest a underlying environmental or food allergy. So, keep that in mind.
Good Luck!
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Otherwise, select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy