Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

i gave my small dog a bone with marrow inside and hellped to

i gave my small dog a bone with marrow inside and hellped to get the marrow for him and now he his ill what do ido
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 year.
Did he eat any of the bone or did he just eat the marrow?
Dr. Stacy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no he did not eat the bone just the marrow

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 2 years ago.
That's good. If he at the bone it would add in the concern for intestinal obstruction.
Bone marrow is made up of almost entirely fat. Some dogs can not tolerate large amounts of fat at a time without developing stomach upset. Sometimes ingesting a lot of fat can trigger a condition called pancreatitis. Your puppy could be suffering from simple intestinal upset or have pancreatitis, which is more serious.
Given that he is a small, older dog, I tend to be more aggressive with my approach. Small dogs can become dehydrated and develop low blood sugar pretty quickly with pancreatitis. I would recommend that you take him to a veterinarian to run some blood work as soon as possible.
If you are unable to take him to a veterinarian right away, there are a few things that you can do now to help him, but they are not going to replace the treatment that he would get at a clinic.
First, I would with hold all food. He probably doesn't want to eat any way. I would give him small amounts of fluids (diluted chicken broth or plain water). Start with very small amounts... such as 1/2 TBSP every 30 minutes to see if his stomach can tolerate it. If he holds it down, then you can increase it to 1 TBSP every hour, and then slowly increase the amount and decrease the frequency from there.
You can give him some over the counter famotidine to help settle his stomach a 10 pound dog would get 1/2 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.
Continue with clear liquids only for 24 hours and then see if he is willing to eat. If he is, start with plain chicken (no skin), small amounts every 4 hours to start. If he holds that down, then you can increase the amount and decrease the frequency from there.
If he will not take the fluids or if he vomits them up, then he needs to get to a veterinarian for IV fluids as soon as possible. If his gums become pale, he becomes very lethargic, or if his abdomen is tense/painful, I would also get him to a veterinarian as soon as possible.
I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions, please let me know.
Dr. Stacy