Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Border Collie 2 yrs old, she seems to be trying to cough

Customer Question

Border Collie Bitch 2 yrs old, she seems to be trying to cough up something stuck in her throat, & has been sick a little, just bile, she as had kennel cough before & had antibiotics, & that cleared it up but this seems different, only started this morning, she has eaten some chicken and had a walk, but lacks energy and seems under the weather now.
Thanks for your time Rachel
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Tallie is not feeling well. Can you describe how it is different then the kennel cough she has previously had?

Dr. Altman :

Because she is coughing up material and is lethargic this does warrant a veterinary visit and probably more antibiotics for her. Your vet definitely will want to listen to her chest to make sure there is no evidence of bronchitis or fluid in her lungs along with taking her temperature to make sure she is not running a fever

Dr. Altman :

Dogs can have a more severe form, which can be a relative of kennel cough or even canine influenza which can be more serious. My criteria for an examination is lethargy, productive cough, reduced appetite and if any of these are seen then an examination is warranted

Dr. Altman :

You can give her some relief by taking her in the bathroom and running the shower. The steam will help soothe her lungs and trachea and relieve the coughing temporarily

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? Are you able to respond?

Dr. Altman :

If the cough is productive I do tend to stay away from cough suppressants. They can suppress the cough of the sputum which is in her trachea and can progress to pneumonia so unless she is keeping you up at night it is not something I advise

Dr. Altman :

I am not sure if you are having issues with live chat so I am going to change formats in a moment to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have

Dr. Altman :

You may have to refresh your browser in order to see any additional responses on my part. If you do respond and do not see any answers then please restate. Sometimes there is a glitch that doesn't print your response on my page...thank you for your patience

Is this format more readily viewable to you?
Good evening, I wanted to check in to see how Tallie is doing, is the cough improving at all? Can I assist with any additional questions for you both?