Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 8 yr old staffie is being sick (yellow bile) and her tummy

my 8 yr old staffie is being sick (yellow bile) and her tummy is making loud gurgling noises, she already suffers from pseudomas, can you tell me what I could give her
thank you lynn
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me .. How long has Zara had this problem?

Customer:

she has it on and off occaisionally, but today she's a lttle worse than normal, she has corvental pills to help with her breathing from time to time

Scott Nimmo :

OK lets go over a few common sense things you can try yourself at home to settle her down ...

Scott Nimmo :

Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Scott Nimmo :

Another common sense approach is live yogurt added to the food, This can often help, it works like a probiotic. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Customer:

she didn't eat yesterday and has never had a good appetite she thinks that theres pills in her food when she feels unwell

Scott Nimmo :

For a dog of your one's size two tablespoons twice a day would be about right

Scott Nimmo :

OK, you could move on and try the light feeding approach today

Customer:

will this stop the gurgling in her tummy,

Scott Nimmo :

Another possibility is Pepto Bismol which you can buy over the counter in the UK, for a Staffie use 1/4 of the human dose.

Scott Nimmo :

Any of the above approaches should help with the gurgling in the tummy if you are dealing with an uncomplicated gastro-enteritis

Customer:

I will try that she is uncomfortable, she has no diahorea

Scott Nimmo :

But of course there is a limit to home remedies and other diagnosis are possible so if in doubt get your vet involved ...

Customer:

yes I will but the vet is not open until tomorrow

Scott Nimmo :

Hopefully a comon sense approach will help you through until your vet opens

Customer:

yes thank you for your guidance