Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is a 14yr. old, what they used to call a working spaniel,

My dog is a 14yr. old, what they used to call a working spaniel, still active and healthy. Has occasional stiffness in back legs, but it soon goes. Sunday, he had a bad day head held down, tail held down close to body, when he walked his hind quarter seamed to go to tne side, and his hind legs seemed to weak to hold him up so when he stood he soon had to sit down. It was a Sunday, I don, drive, he didn,t appear in pain so I delayed until Monday to call a vet. Come Monday he was his lively active self again. Monday night he had another attack of weakness in back legs. This morning no sign of any of the above mentioned symptoms. Can't take him to a vet when he appears perfectly healthy. Can you suggest a cause.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he having difficulty getting up from the floor or going up stairs?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Question 1 Negative

QQuestion 2 Difficulty with hind legs during the period of his illness

Question 3 Negative

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Myfanwy, intermittent episodes of stiffness and weakness in the hind limbs can be related to neuromuscular disorders like arthritis, a pinched nerve along the back, etc. Less likely there could be an underlying systemic illness like abdominal tumors, cardiopulmonary disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, the first place to start to determine the exact underlying cause would be doing xrays and blood work as initial screening test by family veterinarian. In the meantime, you can begin to give him a supplement called Glucosamine/chondroitin, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store; this will help promote the production of joint fluid which helps with arthritis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter