Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

hi My 7 year old Airedale has a sensitive stomach and

Customer Question

hi My 7 year old Airedale bitch has a sensitive stomach and is gluten intolerant. CShe has had a bout of very loose poos I fed her a bland diet of chicken/pork with rice /potatoes and took her to the vet . The vet checked her over and said there her tempreture is fine and he gave me a substance to administer over three days. It was in a large syringe style and given straight into the mouth. I believe it had something to bind the stomach and to build the immune system. He also gave me a pill to worm her which I have given her .Over the week she has been placed back on her normal gluten free diet is very bouncy but has had a couple of loose poos ( but not watery) This morning she has had another accident but there is definite blood on the floor.
I am due to go on holiday today which I will obviously cancel. But what is causeing this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Airedale.
My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
This could be caused by many things: stress, parasites ( there are parasites that are not worms, so the wormer your vet sent may not help with parasites such as Coccidia or Giardia), infectious and inflammatory diseases.
Blood in the stool is an indication of "colitis", inflammation of the lining of the colon. If the blood is still red, it is not digested, and must be coming from the very end of the digestive tract, the colon.
I usually treat colitis with metronidazole. It is immune modulating, anti inflammatory, and is effective against Giardia and some other infections. If that does not help or the colitis returns, I next look at a sample of the stool under a microscope.
Most cases of colitis are controlled this way. However, some cases are very persistant, and other testing such as PCR (a way of diagnosing infections by identifying the DNA of bacteria and other infections in the stool), X-rays, or blood tests sometimes has to be done.
Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
How is your Airedale doing?
Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Sorry not replied been very busy But tally is very well now the vets have given her some medication and I am waiting for the results of some tests.

Thanks for your great service and advice.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you for the update.
Rebecca