Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has mucus running from her nose i do not know what is

my dog has mucus running from her nose i do not know what is causing it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any sneezing or coughing?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- What is the appearance of the nasal discharge?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no sneezing or coughing, the discharge is thick and clear, no other medical conditions and it is been happening for three days.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no more symptoms

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How much does she weigh?
2- Is the discharge clear like water or thick and yellowish?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she weighs 30 kilos i know she is overweight, she is on a diet at the moment, the discharge is clear but thick

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Winifred, there are many possible causes for a nasal discharge as you are describing. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections, a foreign body, allergies, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow her to breath the vapor/steam for 5 minutes 2 times a day. Make sure there is a cool room for her to go to after the steam.
2- Chlorpheniramine 8-12mg every 12 hours for 5 days. You can buy Chlorpheniramine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- If no improvement in 1-2 days after doing the above I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter