Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have an 8 year old Border Terrier. On Monday night he had

I have an 8 year old Border Terrier. On Monday night he had an epileptic fit. His front legs were pointing out in a quarter to three position and his head was jerking up and down rapidly. This lasted for about 3 to 4 minutes. I bear hugged him from underneath, stroked his head and tried to bring him back to normal. He was just staring. The lights were on but no one was home. After the jerking stopped he walked ver drunk like for a few minutes, then appeared recovered. I took him to the vets yesterday, he said if it happens again, just leave him to get over it, and he gave me two lots of valium to adminster to his rear end, was this good advice? Any other suggestions on what to do if this should happen again.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Minty's seizure. What you described with the event sounds like a typical seizure event. After the actual seizure, they will have a post ictal period where "the lights are not on" as the brain gets its normal functions back. Basically a seizure is abnormal electrical activity in the brain. After the actual event, the brain needs to get things back on line for normal function and this can sometimes take minutes to hours to a day or so.
As far as what the vet did, I think it is a very common plan to wait to see if more seizures happen. Could this be a solitary event and no more happen? That is the hope. I will say that if a case like Minty's comes into my clinic, I will do a thorough exam on the pet, recommend doing blood work to screen for metabolic issues, and then discuss the option of doing brain scanning with a CT or MRI. If an owner does all that, then the most information about the cause is obtained. If an owner wants to wait to see what happens, that is a pretty common choice. If further events happen, then you should follow your vet's advise. If more happen, say a seizure every couple months or so, then starting longer term preventative medication may be the best thing. Here is a link on it.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560