Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi, i have a very agitated dog that cant settle and has vy

Hi, i have a very agitated dog that cant settle and has vy hot nose. Having diffichlty putting hks head down. We,ve been on the beach today and it was very wjndy. Not jnterested jn his treats and wont go out for a walk. Westhiland terrier 9 years old. We,re due to go hkme to east sussex tomorrow. Keeps arching his back as if to be sick but nothjng happens. Any suggeztikns how we can make him mkre comfortable? Thanks. Alison
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to learn Alfie is not feeling well. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat any sand in the beach?
2- Is he hacking like attempting to vomit when arching his back? Or, is he walking with an arch back?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as we know he didnt eat anything on the beach. He may have drunk some salt water as he got muddled between the sea and the freshwater running down to the beach. He isnt hacking at the moment but he was coujng and sneezjng kn the beach.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Is he constantly with his back arched?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is about 8kg and no his back is not arched all the time

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Alison, the symptoms that you are describing could be related to either abdominal pain or back pain. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc, ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), etc. to name a few causes. The fact that he has attempted to vomit I am inclined to believe this could be related to abdominal pain.
In this case I would strongly recommend a hands on examination by a veterinarian as soon as you can. In the meantime in case this is related to something like pancreatitis or ingestion of a foreign body this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.