Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

when excited my 8yr old pug collapses and loses the ability

Customer Question

when excited my 8yr old pug collapses and loses the ability to control her limbs, she has heavy breathing and is disoriantated, this lasts for app 30 sec. after a few more minutes she is back to normal. thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Are you saying she has only had this type of episode twice now?

JACUSTOMER-7jgvuv9w- :

yes the first time the weather was very hot and i put it down to being over heated, ithink it might have happened when i havent been in her vicinity and i noticed she seemed very tired

JACUSTOMER-7jgvuv9w- :

ahe has had 3 attacks in last 2 days

Dr. Susan :

I see. When this happens, is she responsive to you?

Dr. Susan :

Or does she seem unaware in her disorientation?

JACUSTOMER-7jgvuv9w- :

she is concious but very disoriantated i get her into an upright position she just looks at me

Dr. Susan :

I think this sounds very consistent with seizure activity.

Dr. Susan :

She needs to have some blood work checked to look for an underlying problem, such as liver disease.

Dr. Susan :

In the meantime, we need to start her on anti-convulsant medication right away.

Dr. Susan :

3 seizures in 2 days is dangerous. Every time a dog has a seizure, the threshold for the next seizure is lowered. That means it is more likely that she will have another one.

Dr. Susan :

Seizures can progress into status epilepticus, which means a seizure that won't stop until we intervene with medication.

Dr. Susan :

I highly recommend having her seen today. I would draw the blood and prescribe the seizure medication (I would prefer zonisamide) to start right away.

JACUSTOMER-7jgvuv9w- :

thankyou i will take her to my vets

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

am sad to inform you ellie had massive siezure early monday morning, she passed away wed. she app had a bleed on hr b.rain. your advice was spot on, i just wished i had got advice sooner. thankyou

Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear the news about Ellie. She was lucky to have such a loving home with your Doreen. I hope good memories of her can comfort you during this difficult time.
Dr. Susan