Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We took our bichon frise to vet because of diarrhoea.( 2nd

Customer Question

We took our bichon frise to vet because of diarrhoea.( 2nd bout in 10 days) this morning.
The vet gave an infection plus a course of antibiotics starting tomorrow.
We gave him white fish and rice at 4 pm but vomited an hour later
He is very lethargic and sad
Did we feed him too soon?
Should we feed him again before bed?
Or should we take him to the emergency vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This sounds most concerning for Eddie. Did his veterinarian do some lab testing when you took him for his visit. If this had been my patient I would have recommended a CBC, Chemistry profile with electrolytes, urine check and stool evaluation.

Dr. Joey :

If not lab testing was done, then this is the next step for him. I am quite concerned that he may become critically dehydrated given that he is so small and now quite lethargic. This would, for me, be an indication to have him seen on emergency today.

It does not sound like you have done anything incorrect at home. If he ate, then he was ready It may be that whatever the cause of this diarrhea and lethargy is not going to be easily treated with the medication prescribed.

Dr. Joey :

I can make some at-home treatment suggestions but my worry is that now he is vomiting and anything you try to give by mouth will not stay down. This usually requires a vet administer an injection for vomiting, or if he is profoundly dehydrated then may need to be admitted for intravenous fluid therapy.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.