Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We gave our lab green lipped mussel cspsules (2 twice a day

We gave our lab green lipped mussel cspsules (2 twice a day for one day) on friday. Last night he was clearly in discomfort and has been sick, drooling and unable to settle ever since. What can we do to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- How many milligrams were the green lipped mussel capsules?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is c 30kilos

yes he is lethargic

he has just had a bowel explosion and it looks like blood.

please reply asap

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- How many milligrams were the capsules?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pale

Capsules are 500mg

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Verity, it is unlikely for the symptoms that you are seeing in your dog to be related to the green lipped mussel. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, tumors, infections, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
Having pale gums is a major concern, this suggest either: Poor circulation, decrease cardiac output or blood pressure, anemia (decrease red blood cells). Dogs with pale gums often have a fatal outcome if cause is not identified and corrected. For this reason I would strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.
4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter