Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My westie is 14 years old, and has been an absolute joy to

Customer Question

My westie is 14 years old, and has been an absolute joy to have. Recently when we have left her alone, (not for very long) she has started digging at the carpet and pulling the wool out and also she rips everything up. Rubbish bin, files, cardboard boxes, anything she can sink her teeth into and tears it apart. Is she stressed or just going back to her puppyhood?
Julie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
Is this happening just when you are gone, or does it happen at night or other times?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anne

She does dig at the carpet when we are at home, day and night, but she does not rip things up when we are with her.

Julie

Okay. It sounds like your dog is having some cognitive dysfunction, which is similar to dementia as a dog ages. Often times, it is accompanied by anxiety. I recommend talking to your veterinarian about getting your dog on some Prozac or some Xanax and see if that helps. Those are usually the first things that we try. If you would rather go the natural route, you can try a DAP collar. It is a collar that emits a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs by mimicking the pheromone released by the mother when the puppies are nursing. You can purchase those at your local pet store. It is a collar that your dog would wear all the time, and it lasts 4 to 6 weeks, typically.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.