Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

My 8 year old border collie is having treatment for infection.

My 8 year old border collie is having treatment for infection. Her anal glands do not empty properly and she has been biting her tail and around her anus. I have noticed that when she goes to the toilet she doesn't stoop any more but it comes out of her while shes walking. Is this down to the problem with her anal glands?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
i'm sorry to read of the problems Cassie is experiencing. Has she been not stooping since wearing the Buster collar, or was she doing that previously?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been doing this previously. I take the collar off when shes walking out so its not that. Earlier, she stooped to "mark her territory" which stimulated her to do her business but was walking along doing it Im worried that she has lost some control over her bowels/bladder

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Ruth. I suspect you may be correct. When dogs, particularly older dogs, frequently bend around to bite or chew at their posterior quarters, they sometimes cause problems in the spinal disks between the vertebrae. This situation can result in a loss of feeling in the area of their hind quarters, including the bowels, bladder and even interfere with proper walking. It sounds as if the injury is relatively minor at this point, and there is a fairly good chance that it will be a temporary condition, and resolve as the collar prevents Cassie from chewing at herself, allowing the area to heal.
You should mention this behavior to your veterinarian at your next visit, should it persist longer than 5 to 7 days.
Hopefully, clearing up the infection in her glands and preventing further damage to her back will soon allow the problem to resolve, but if you should have further questions, please let me know, I'll be happy to ansswer them for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Bob. We have an appointment with the vet on Friday. I will certainly mention it.