Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have just got a lovely dog from dog breeders who are my relations

Customer Question

I have just got a lovely dog from dog breeders who are my relations a cross spaniel she has been kept in kennels outside for 2 years that her age she is fully trained regarding heel and sit etc but when I take her for a walk she will not go to toilet P or W she waits until she is alone then goes in the kitchen. I think she was kept in the kennels for tooling and unable to get out so she has trained herself to hold her urine, when she goes the flood gates open
She is on Iam was ravenous when she came very intelligent loves it in doors although does not like heat she has not had puppies as she rarely comes on heat she is very close and loving towards me
The only problem is her not able to go to the toilet she will not go out in the garden ,and she does not pass urine for a couple of days
I have bought puppy pads in the hope of training her to go normally when she is walking she does not stop and sniff or wee which my previous digs have always done, I am not making an issue of it as she is sensitve
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with Ivy.
My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
This is not an unusual problem in dogs that were raised in kennels. It goes back to where she was living, and eliminating, when she was still a puppy. Puppies develop "substrate preference" when they are growing. Where they urinate and defecate when they are in these formative months, are where they are going to eliminate for the rest of their lives.
The first thing I would do is keep the kitchen off limits to her when she is alone. If there is no door, then use a baby gate. Now that she sees the kitchen as her toilet, she will keep going back to it, so it has to be closed off to her.
She is holding her urine, waiting to go on the kind of place she became used to as a puppy. Compare it to your suddenly staying in a house with no bathroom and your hosts did not tell you what they use for a bathroom. You would hold it and hold it until you could hold it no longer, wait until you were alone, and use the area that most seemed like a bathroom to you. I would contact the breeder and find out where she has been going to eliminate for the last two years, what kind of surface it was: grass, gravel, dirt, pavement, etc. Then you at least will know what she is waiting for.
You may have to make a box for her of that kind of surface, or find a place that is that kind of surface, or make an area in your garden of that surface.
It is hard that she was not trained to eliminate when walked on a leash. Once you know what kind of place she used for a toilet before you got her, if you can walk her to such a place, she may learn to do it.
I am sorry about this problem. She sounds so lovely otherwise. Talking to her breeder may give you the answers you need.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.
Rebecca
I had a similar problem when my stepmother visited; I live in the desert and her dog was used to going on grass. She would also hold her urine and defecation for days, until we would drive her to an area of grass.