Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a bichon/Lhasa apso cross he has epilepsy and overweight.

I have a bichon/Lhasa apso cross he has epilepsy and overweight. He's not on any drugs for his epilepsy. He has joint pain can you recommend a pain killer please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

How much does Joey weigh?

Customer: 21kg
Customer: Hello are you still there. His weight is 21 kg
Dr. Susan :

I'm sorry for the delay, I stepped away to help a patient.

Dr. Susan :

For a 21kg dog, you can give 250mg acetaminophen (over the counter) every 12 hours as needed for pain.

Dr. Susan :

Be careful not to exceed this dosage, and do not give it more often than twice daily.

Dr. Susan :

This is the only over the counter human medication I would consider. You can also obtain prescription medications from your regular vet.

Dr. Susan :

I typically use medications like carprofen, meloxicam and deracoxib for this purpose.

Dr. Susan :

If these are not sufficient, your vet can also prescribe additional medications such as tramadol or gabapentin.

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.