Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Hi. i have a 9year old staffy cross terrier, he has lots

Hi. i have a 9year old staffy cross bull terrier, he has lots of dark brown very sticky lumps on his inside back legs and belly.
i have tried bathing him but they seem very greasy and some of them are very hard and the only way i can only remove any of them is with a kitchen roll but his skin is still very sticky also they do makle him smell very bad.
hope you can help.
Barry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Any chance you can take a photo of what you're seeing and post it for me to see here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im sorry i cant do that at the moment.

but the lumps that come off are soft and very sticky...

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
That's ok Barry. Do you feel that the skin is normal as far as under these lumps? Is the skin inflamed and angry under them? Are these lumps like crusty, scabby type lesion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

his belly is very red in some places and when i remove them some are hardish and hard to remove. then his skin looks sore..

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for that information Barry. With what I'm picturing, I would be suspicious that he's got some skin bacterial infection going on - a dermatitis due to something. This is causing the skin to be inflamed in these areas and to exude serum that gets crusted / stuck in the fur there. A lot of times these more involved cases need more than a simple bath with a regular shampoo. A veterinarian can start up oral antibiotics to treat the infection from the inside and then send home special medicated shampoos to treat the skin from the surface. At home, it is hard to deal with these as the treatments are not as direct as what is needed to resolve them. Some can have immune issues at hand or mite issues or fungal issues that can look similarly. I would hope that a short course of oral medications and special shampoos from your vet would resolve all this.