Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have a 11 year old rottweiller female. Yesterday I noticed

Customer Question

I have a 11 year old rottweiller female. Yesterday I noticed her left front leg being swollen for no apparent reason. Today I noticed by feeling behind the upper leg there is something the size of a bean bag. But it's not on the other leg. Could this be cancer. Is there any glands there. Should I take her to the vet or see if the swelling goes down. She's not limping and seems not to hurt her when I feel and manipulate the leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl has a swollen leg and a bean bag sized swelling behind her upper leg. I want to make sure that I understand what you wrote and her condition, so I have some questions.
1) Is the bean bag swelling behind the opposite (right) front leg?
2) Is she eating, drinking and active as usual?
3) Any fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?
4) Is her left front leg still swollen? Is the entire leg swollen?
5) Is the swelling firm or if you press on it do your fingers leave an indent (pit) in the swelling?
6) Is she lame on her leg?
7) Here is a link to a diagram of dog lymph node location. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0MryCog9SRlIxaM98zC7hWSl_e-gQ-Sg93aQPJNbbI_UVVFMYVDOtgUWlWiUwW68a7YwnRg7p_WvENPc-WKHe-OT-T46gZfTSvhe6snTO5Mmdb-uhpI
Are any of these other nodes swollen? Is the bean bag swelling in the area of the axillary lymph node?
8) Any history of tick bites?
Please look at her swollen leg closely for any signs of a wound, bite or bruising and tell me what you see.
Thanks for your patience with all of my questions.