Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Every 2 or 3 weeks our 9 yr old boxer produces a brown blood/saliva

Customer Question

Every 2 or 3 weeks our 9 yr old boxer produces a brown blood/saliva which we find on her bed. I am presuming it is coming from her mouth but have never seen it happen. At other times she dribbles continuously and is in discomfort but by the next morning she is happy, well and over the episode. I have no evidence to report to the vet. We rescued her 18 months ago and she goes to the vet constantly for her urticaria, eye ulcers, ear haematomas and infections, also she has a heart murmur. Do you have any idea what could cause these episodes? Tonight she is feeling very poorly and we have already been to the vets today with her eye. I think it is like a stomach ulcer as she is fairly nervous and suffers with separating anxiety. (We never leave her)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca : Hello,
Rebecca : I am sorry you are worried about Ellie.
Rebecca : My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Rebecca : if you are sure it is from her mouth, and not urine, then I would suspect she is feeling nauseous.
Rebecca : The first thing I would try is some Pepcid (famotidine). How much does she weigh?
Rebecca : If she is around 45 pounds, she would take 10 mg, twice daily.
Rebecca : If that seems to help, it probably is nausea, which could be from stress, and ulcer, pancreatitis, gastritis, many things.
Rebecca : I hope you can see what I am writing! Sometimes this live chat prevents us seeing what the other says.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

We are not sure where it is coming from but it is always brown, never red so has been sitting somewhere for a while.

Rebecca : It sounds like she has problems with allergies (urticaria, ear hematomas) so it could be related to that.
Rebecca : That probably is saliva
Rebecca : it does stain things brown.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

She weight 75 pounds. So presumably she would have getting on for 20

JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

mg

Rebecca : Yes, then I would give 20 mg pepcid, twice daily.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

thank you

Rebecca : I hope that helps her. Is there anything else I can answer?
Rebecca : You are welcome!
Rebecca : Let me know if there is anything else.
Rebecca : Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.
Rebecca : Hope she is doing better.
Rebecca : i will check back to see how she is.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

She has been unwell for the last couple of hours not being able to get comfortable. We have omeprazole and ranitidine plus ordinary antacid tablets. Shops will not be open until 8:30 tomorrow morning. Can I give her anything to help .... Milk..?

Rebecca : I would not give milk. Too much fat. I would try broth.
Rebecca : omeprazole and ranitidine work similar to Pepcid, by blocking stomach acid.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

Would any of the tablets we have in the house help?

Rebecca : Yes, either of them should work, but i will have to look up a dose.
Rebecca : I would use ranitidine. It works faster. The dose would be 35 to 50 mg twice daily.
JACUSTOMER-mto56avk- :

Rebecca : You are welcome.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Melanie,
How is Ellie doing?

Rebecca