Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 5 month old Yorkshire terrier has been vomiting a few times

My 5 month old Yorkshire terrier has been vomiting a few times today a few minutes after eating, we have introduce new treats in between meals too.. It's so worrying as after vomiting all she has eating(mixture of food and mucus salivary liquid) it's just pinkish mucus without food!! And now she's trying to sleep? What can I do to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any diarrhea?
3- Is she lethargic?
4- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Normal food but different treats, no diarrrhea(normal faeces)
She's not heavy, not sure if her actual weight.. She's been trying to sleep but she's salivating and stands up to vomit the liquid yellowish and pinkish two times...it's been 30 mins in between vomits..!
Should I give her water? She's tired now
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I be alarm/worried for the mucus/salivary vomit with pinkish colour? Is this an indication to be like so?
She's quite alert/active when hearing noises..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The mucus is common when there is vomiting. I am a bit concern of the pink color which could be blood if she did not ingest anything that is pink; for this reason I would have her examined by family veterinarian.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The liquid(not food ) vomiting has not reoccurred yet(as she's been trying to sleep for 25mins.. Is this a good sign? No more vomiting a good sign?
As it's 12:17 am, do you think is ok to take her to out vet in 8 hours? Or you recommend earlier? Please advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You replied
20 October 2014 19:18 EST
The liquid(not food ) vomiting has not reoccurred yet(as she's been trying to sleep for 25mins.. Is this a good sign? No more vomiting is a good sign?
As it's 12:17 am, do you think is ok to take her to our vet in 8 hours? Or you recommend earlier? Please advice.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
If she is no longer vomiting this is a good sign. If she is not lethargic and does not continue to vomit she will be ok waiting 8 hours.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.