Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hello there, My 3 month old puppy dalmatian has had an upset

Customer Question

Hello there,
My 3 month old puppy dalmatian has had an upset tummy for the last 3 days now. She has had 'cow pat' like poop!
She has had no vomiting, lethargy or abdomen distension.
She is not off of her food, and there has been no change to her food intake/diet.
We have done a 4 1/2 hour journey up to Lincolnshire from Poole, and the water is much harder up here.
There is canine virus present in Nottinghamshire, where we visited for the day, however my dog already had the upset tummy before going there.
There is no evidence of worms in her stool, nor any blood. Some of her stool is slightly formed, then turns into cow pat. She is straining a little bit.
She is up to date with vaccinations and worming. We de-fleed her for the first time the day before coming to Lincolnshire.
She appears normal in herself, but I am concerned this has been 3 days now, she has also pooped over night which is not like her at all, so she must really need to go.
We are going to start her on boiled rice and chicken this morning
I just wondered if you think I need to be worried!
Thanks, Bekka
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Yes I would be concerned about the length of time this is lasting. In younger dogs they do not have a lot of reserves to tolerate the fluid loss. Perhaps she ingested something that disagrees with her system or is trapped in her system (puppies do like to chew on everything) or perhaps she has a viral problem (corona, parvo -- although I would expect it to be worsening) or she could have a parasite that has not be treated for.

If she was my patient I would recommend I take a look to do an exam and possibly some lab testing that might include lab work (cbc, chemistry profile, urine check and fecal analysis) to check for the problems I listed above. She might need an X-ray if ingestion of an unusual item that is trapped in the digestive tract is suspected.

Dr. Joey :

If you cannot get her seen right away then here are a few suggestions:

1) Good idea to change her diet and feed a bland diet: Continue to feed white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Bismuth sulfate liquid: Give 1 ml by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

3) Start a probiotic supplement such as one made for dogs (Fortiflora or Proviable) or use one for people that you trust OR you can use regular/plain yogurt at 1 tablespoonful per day.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** get to our vet today as we are visiting Lincolnshire, we are leaving today to go back home. If she has not improved by tomorrow morning I will take her straight to the vet, unless she gets worse over night then I will go straight to an out of hours vet practice.

She has been vaccinated against Parvo, but unsure about Corona. So hopefully it is nothing like that Frown

I shall get some probiotic yoghurt, I've never heard of bismuth sulphate.. but i will go to a pet store and local vets to see if they sell it.

Thanks for your advice, hopefully I'm just being over cautious

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
I do hope she continues to do well for you. Thank you for the update. I too hope this is only about being cautious, and that she might have ingested something that upset her system, but will pass in a short period of time.