Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog Oscar He is a Lhasa Apso he is 9 he is licking underneath

my dog Oscar He is a Lhasa Apso he is 9 he is licking underneath round his private parts driving me mad there is no tics or mites on him i change his bedding twice a week he has dried food all underneath he is brown but when he is sitting on the chair with my husband he is fine he does not lick or scratch im thinkin it could be habit
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he licking or gnawing other areas like his paws?
3- Are you seeing any abnormality in the skin in that area like: Swelling, redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
4- How much does he weigh?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

quite a while now 1

yes 2

not so much redness but is under belly is brown 3

bout 12 kls 4

no 5

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Mary, the brown coloration is secondary to the chronic moisture from the saliva. You are right to believe this could be a bad habit. But, it could also be a sign of an underlying allergy (food or environmental).
In this case, I would recommend you consider doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks. In addition, placing an ecollar (cone) on him to stop him from licking and break the habit. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then put him on a food that has fish like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start him Chlorpheniramine 4-6mg every 8-12 hours. You can buy chlorpheniramine over the counter in any chemist.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store and let him wear the cone for the next week or longer to break the habit of licking.

5- If after doing the above there is no improvement have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter