Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

6 yr old female lab. Yesterday morning found she had been

6 yr old female lab. Yesterday morning found she had been sick in the hall at the door, clear mucus. Was fine the rest of the day, walked twice, ate twice as usual. This morning at 4am I heard whimpering so let her out but when she wanted to come back in was unable to jump the low wall to the front door so let her in back door. At breakfast time this morning she seemed to find it extremely difficult to move her hind quarters and get off her bed. Eventually she did and she ate breakfast but then she was watering at the mouth and I let her out - now she is in her bed and not moving when I say it is time for our walk.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
The most likely cause of this is a slipped or bulging disc in her back. Unfortunately, this can be a progressive condition, and if not treated promptly, she could lose the use of her back legs. I would get her to a veterinarian immediately today and get her on some steroids to try to reverse the swelling and inflammation at the spinal cord and get her using her legs again. Since she is not able to stand on her back legs, there is not much I can recommend for you to do at home, she really just needs to see a vet.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.