Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

For the last 2 days my dog (an 18 month old Bernese Mountain

For the last 2 days my dog (an 18 month old Bernese Mountain Dog) has yelped on a few occasions for no apparent reason. I have examined him and can find no cuts etc or anything in his paws or pads, however he does yelp when I touch inside his mouth on or near his lower teeth, and today he is a bit more lethargic. He has not yelped when he eats and his still runs around normally until this afternoon.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your Berner. I do have a few questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Can you take his temperature?
2. Any drooling or excessive salivation?
3. Does he tend to chew on sticks or bones?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He does drool sometimes when anticipating food, but I think he may be drooling a little when not related to food, just from the centre of the left side of his mouth. He doesn't eat bones, but does chew on wood if he can find any...His temp appears to be normal.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for the additional information.

I don't necessarily think his temperature is elevated but it would be good to double check if you have a thermometer. Normal is between 100 and 102.5, if you were wondering. A fever might explain his lethargy which is why I asked you about it.

It sounds like there may be an infection or abscess in his mouth, especially if he chews on wood. Sometimes, it's obvious that this is the problem but sometimes my patients have to be sedated so that a more thorough oral exam can be done. There's a condition called a retrobulbar abscess which develops in the back of the mouth and won't at all be obvious without sedation.

He's a little on the young side for a tooth root abscess but it's still possible, I suppose, especially if significant damage was done to a tooth.

As strange as it may sound, I've seen a few dogs with ear infections present as you describe so it might be worthwhile taking a look (and smell) at his ears.

If he's not currently vomiting and isn't currently taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, he could be given Aspirin which may help with any discomfort he's currently feeling. The dose would be 10 mg/lb twice a day with food to avoid stomach upset.
Another option would be Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) at a dose of 5 mg/lb twice a day but care should be taken to avoid access to any cats which you might have since it can be toxic to them.

I'm not certain that I think anti-inflammatory drugs alone will be enough if he has an infection but at least they might provide some relief for now.
My only hesitation about suggesting them is that they might interfere with what your vet will want to prescribe if he needs to be seen but several doses should be fine.

I hope this helps. Deb