Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, having just acquired a puppy at 8 weeks I need to worm

Hi, having just acquired a puppy at 8 weeks I need to worm him, last wormed by his breeder on 6th October. Have drontalplus tablets which state 1/2 tablet for small dogs and puppies from 3-5kg. Have weighed puppy and he's 2.9 kg, is it okay to give him 1/2 tablet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over in this way.

However If you prefer I will be glad to speak to you directly by phone or by Skype or by other means, please let me know if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for this }

Regards,

Scott

Hello again Melanie and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.

1. This drug has a wide margin of safety in the dog and 2.9 kg is so close to 3 kg so I would very much doubt that you will encounter any problem in giving the half tablet to your pup.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott