Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a 9 year old working cocker spaniel who has been a very

I have a 9 year old working cocker spaniel who has been a very lively dog all his life. He is a pet with one owner, he has had at least 1 and half hours walk every day. He takes Medrone V 2mg twice a day for six months of the year and nothing for the rest of the year.This is for various grasses and heather allergies. In the last two weeks Raffles has not wanted to retrieve a ball or stick, he tried 7 days ago when his right front leg buckled and since then he has not run at all just plodded by the side of me. He wags his tail on the walk but no animation. He does not flinch when I press all his limbs.
Are all these symptoms just old age, arthritis, or what?
I would grateful for an answer, Jean Colvin
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I think it's possible that all of his signs are related to arthritis, or they may be an indication of an injury.

Dr. Susan :

The fact that this came on so rapidly makes me wonder about trauma.

Dr. Susan :

Is he bearing weight on all legs? Does he seem to favor one?

Customer:

He walks fairly evenly except the right front paw or leg is slow to come to the ground

Customer:

I have recently been away for three weeks holiday and he stayed with friends.

Customer:

I will sign off now as I am not getting anywhere .with these questions

Dr. Susan :

I'm still here.

Dr. Susan :

I am happy to continue with you until we make a plan.

Dr. Susan :

Has he been slowing progressively prior to this obvious limp?

Customer:

Other than going to my vet what can I do?

Dr. Susan :

I'm trying to help you determine that right now.

Customer:

Yes he has slowed up to plodding

Dr. Susan :

Without answers to my questions, I can tell you that a joint supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin are never harmful and can be quite beneficial in dogs with arthritis

Dr. Susan :

Some dogs will improve dramatically with supplements alone.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, medications can also be very successful improving their comfort level.

Customer:

I know you cant say for sure but does it look like arthritis

Dr. Susan :

I definitely think it's possible, but I'm concerned about how dramatic the change has been over the last 2 weeks.

Dr. Susan :

Arthritis is normally much more slowly progressive.

Customer:

If I go to the vet would an xray highlight the issue?

Dr. Susan :

If your dog has a bone tumor, then it will show on an x-ray. Soft tissue injuries such as a sprain or muscle strain will not be evident on x-ray.

Customer:

Would you do an x-ray and roughly how much does it cost

Dr. Susan :

Usually I give my clients the choice to do x-ray right away or proceed more conservatively. We can certainly try medication for him first and then move on to x-ray if we do not see any improvement. I work in the US and we charge about $60 for an exam and then $150 for x-rays.

Customer:

How long would you wait to see some improvement

Customer:

before doing an x-ray

Dr. Susan :

1-2 weeks with medication.

Customer:

Is there anything that I can do on my own before I go to the vet

Dr. Susan :

Yes, you can start the joint supplement and an OTC pain medication.

Dr. Susan :

I haven't been to the UK for a while, but I believe you have both acetaminophen and acetaminophen with codeine available?

Customer:

Where can I buy this over the counter

Dr. Susan :

At the regular human pharmacist.

Dr. Susan :

How much does he weigh?

Customer:

i am not sure but i know he isn't over weight, I usually give him Advocate for dogs weighing between 10kg and 25kg. i have just noticed that i haven't given him a dose since 21st August, do you think this could be contributory factor

Dr. Susan :

No, not likely.

Dr. Susan :

The reason I ask his weight is to calculate a dose of medication for him.

Customer:

i think he is about15kg

Dr. Susan :

OK, I would like you to give 150mg of acetaminophen every 12 hours.

Dr. Susan :

If you aren't seeing anything in the next 1-2 weeks, then proceed to your vet.

Customer:

O K thanks, ***** ***** anything else you can tell me

Dr. Susan :

You can also use warm compresses over the front leg joints for 5 minutes at a time several times daily.

Dr. Susan :

This and regular walks to circulate joint fluid are also helpful.

Customer:

OK I can do that

Dr. Susan :

Excellent. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

Thanks very much

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics