Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 8 week old Labrodor puppy has some hair loss on the insides

My 8 week old Labrodor puppy has some hair loss on the insides of her hind legs ? Do I need to do anything ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Can you please tell me A. Is this an itchy condition ? and B. What does the skin look like in the areas of hair loss?

Customer:

The skin looks fine and she is not itchy

Scott Nimmo :

OK I thought so ... The situation is that in this age group the pups are at a transition between their initial puppy coat and more adult coat. As long as this is not itchy or the skin inflamed I would sit things out for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Customer:

ok will do - thank you

Scott Nimmo :

It could be that this will resolve itself without any intervention if you give it a bit more time. Of course if things are getting worse or signs of skin disease appear then have her checked over by your vet.

Customer:

She is having her second jab this weds , so will get the vet to check her then.

Scott Nimmo :

That sounds like a good plan ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** my mind at rest.