Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi, I have a 8 year old boxer who is fit and healthy and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 8 year old boxer who is fit and healthy and looks amazing for her age. She use to leak a little urine every now and then, nothing to make a deal out of. However the last couple of days we have noticed that it has been quite a lot and her leg is very wet from lying down while leaking. Is there anything we can do? Someone mentioned to me that it is probably a hormone problem which their bitch suffered with and was sorted with a tablet the vet gave her. Hope you can help. Kindest regards ***** *****

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This could be due to an estrogen deficiency, if she is spayed. And there are multiple medications that can be tried to treat this but they are prescription and you must work through this with your vet. I always recommend to my patients to do an urinalysis check first before we jump to estrogen-deficiency urinary incontinence as a diagnosis because what if she has a simple urinary tract infection or a bladder stone or crystals in her urine? Those would need to be treated differently.

Dr. Joey :

There is, unfortunately, not much you can do at home. I do not advocate water restriction. This generally does not help the problem. This is something that really requires a visit to see your vet, an exam followed by some lab testing (at least a urine check).