Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

About 2 hours ago we suddenly noticed our 12 year old golden

About 2 hours ago we suddenly noticed our 12 year old golden retriever had an extremely swollen face. She has since vomited twice. Her only known long term medical condition is arthritis, and she has been taking a green lipped muscle supplement for this for the last month. We have another dog of the same breed and age who is fine. The dog in question often chops at spiders, so we are wondering if a spider bite could be the cause. We also have many spindly spiders in the house, so are wondering if she may have eaten one of these. We have a hospital appointment tomorrow morning, so would not normally be able to take her to the vet until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. We have cetirizine hydrochloride tablets for human consumption and have considered giving her this at 1mg/kg dosage. What do you think we should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?
2- Any difficulty breathing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you. she weighs about 32kg does not seem to be having any difficulty breathing.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, given the quick onset of the face swelling an insect bite (spider) is very possible. Another possible cause could be an allergic reaction. Starting her on Cetirizine is a great idea. Yes, you can start her at 1mg/kg every 12-24 hours. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter