Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi My poodle puppy of 17 weeks has started having small

My poodle puppy of 17 weeks has started having small bouts of diarrhoea since yesterday. He goes to the toilet outside in the garden and keeps 'hovering about 4 times ' doing a very soft stool every 1/2 hr to hour. It's almost like he can't seem to finish passing his stools. He has been eating some cooked chicken and biscuit today, (his normal diet )but yesterday for a change we gave him some cooked steak and biscuit. We have also been making sure that he hasn't been dehydrated and he has been drinking water OK. Normally he is very good at going to the toilet but could you advise please if this because we changed his diet and should we take him to our local vet for a check up. Many thanks for your assistance
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Yes, we can see diarrhea associated with a diet change, so it's possible.

Dr. Susan :

At his age, I would also be concerned about intestinal parasites.

Dr. Susan :

I do recommend taking a recent sample to your regular vet to be tested for parasites.

Dr. Susan :

As long as he is eating and drinking well, I think you could wait 24-48 hours before taking him to the vet.

Dr. Susan :

However, the vet can offer you medication that could hasten the resolution of his diarrhea.

Dr. Susan :

At home, you can feed boiled rice and boiled chicken.

Dr. Susan :

You can also use a human OTC probiotic once daily.

Customer:

Thank you for your kind advice . If he doesn't improve by tomorrow then I will take him and a stool sample to the vets in case it is intestinal parasites. I meant to say that I also have his brother Zebedee poodle 17 weeks who had the same diet change yesterday, but he seems absolutely fine in contrast. His stools are absolutely fine . Would i need to get him checked out as well?

Dr. Susan :

It would be good to bring both of their stools to be checked - sometimes dogs do not always show clinical signs even if they are affected.

Dr. Susan :

Also, one may just happen to have a food intolerance or allergy that the other does not.

Dr. Susan :

I don't think Zebedee needs an exam, but the fecal check is a good idea.

Customer:

Thanks for this ,I just thought I'd better mention about Zebedee because I want them both to be OK and if it is an allergy, food intolerance or a parasite infection want to get it sorted out for them as early as possible.

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Good luck with the babies. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

Thank you for giving me an excellent service

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics