Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My Hungarian vizsla is 7 year old who has suddenly developed

My Hungarian vizsla is 7 year old bitch who has suddenly developed an unwillingness to come indoors, and would much prefer to be out doors. no trauma has happed and no changes have happed ether. She seems to have started out of the blue. do know as to why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Have you noticed any weight gain lately? Any nervousness or decrease in appetite? Any changes in thirst?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she has no weight change and is nervous of been indoors she is eating more

Dogs are very sensitive to changes, especially vizsla's, and shemay be sensing a change in something that you are not aware of. I would first try buying her a DAP collar (I like the Adaptil brand):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADAPTIL-C66410C-Adaptil-Collar/dp/B0031TI4RI
It emits a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs and can relieve stress and anxiety. If that doesn't work, I would talk to your vet about trying her on Xanax to see if that helps. If it does not, and the behavior continues, I would consider having a neurologic consultation, because symptoms like these are often a sign of early dementia. Frequently, dogs will want to stay outside, or sleep in the car, or other odd behaviors.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.