Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I HAVE A WHIPPET/BEDLINGTON LURCHER. WHEN I TAKE HER OUT FOR

Customer Question

I HAVE A WHIPPET/BEDLINGTON LURCHER.
WHEN I TAKE HER OUT FOR RABBITING ,TWICE A WEEK, SHE WEARS HERSELF OUT ,AND IS EXHAUSTED.
HER WEE IS VERY DARK COLOURED ON THESE OCASIONS
SHOULD I BE GIVING HER SOMETHING TO SUPPLIMENT THIS EXTRA
EXERTION
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry for the delay in my response. In a situation where a dog is urinating a darker colored urine after a lot of physical activity such as what your girl is getting, it would seem suspect that she's not staying adequately hydrated during the activity. Basically if she's not drinking enough water during all this exercise, her body will try to conserve water by putting out a more concentrated urine. The more concentrated urine is darker in color. As far as any specific supplement to be giving her, the best thing is to maybe take a few extra breaks during the days rabbit hunt to let her rest and adequately have a chance to drink. Make sure to bring extra water and a bowl to allow her to do this. She most likely is a very good rabbiter and will push herself to the limit to enjoy this activity she so likes. You need to help her to get a little rest and better hydration during it.