Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog is 2 years old hes a Cav king Charles spaniel and hes

My dog is 2 years old hes a Cav king Charles spaniel and hes been neutered at a normal age when the vet recommended it. He always humps his animals, when hes usually playing. Today he humped his bear for a good 20 minutes (which seemed normal) until afterwards he stood still with his back legs frozen, he couldn't move when I called him and his penis was a very very large size & looked very bloody and sore. After about a minute he had a wet tummy even though hes been neutered and he licked it excessively. Is this normal as im worried and do I need to take him to the vets?? Please help! Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

Can you please tell me if his penis is still exposed or back in its sheath/ prepuce?

Dr. Altman :

The reason neutered or fixed dogs hump is for several reasons, not typically sexual in nature but more for dominance purposes or out of frustration/ anxiety. I have a little dog that also does this...to my German Shepherd! She is of course oblivious and cares little because he is not really even putting pressure on her but does it nonetheless

Dr. Altman :

If his penis is still exposed then please lubricate with ky or vaseline and get him to a veterinary clinic. If exposed for an extended period of time (>1 hour) this can be an emergency. CLICK HERE for more information

Dr. Altman :

If his penis is not exposed then you can take him on a nice long walk to increase his focus on the current sensation and allow his mind to move forward but if the licking continues then you definitely need to get him in tomorrow morning

Dr. Altman :

Often increased exercise (30-45 minutes daily) will reduce the humping, my dog typically will only do this on days he hasn't had regular exercise ...today for example, no walk this morning because I had surgery and he was in my office humping her!

Dr. Altman :

His obsession was so bad I started a supplement called anxitane. I am unsure of what it is in the UK but CLICK HERE for link. It did take a good 4 weeks for full effect but his frequency has reduced significantly on the medication

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for the advice, since being a puppy he has rarely been left on his own and due to increased shifts of work he has recently been left longer than normal. I'm worried that that is apart of separation anxiety? And today he hasn't been for a walk but played in the garden. His penis has gone back in but worried me as it was very very large more than normal. Is there anything else we could do. Thanks for the answers.
Absolutely could be related to separation anxiety, a way to release his nervous energy. My little one does it even though he is at work with me and I walk away to tend to a patient!
If the size has not reduced by morning then yes it would be advised to have your vet take a look. He might have an inflammatory reaction or infection now. Please monitor his urination and make sure he has a nice healthy flow
You can try massage (I know, not the best of thoughts) and cool compresses to reduce the blood flow to the area.
Playing in the backyard unfortunately is more like free time, there is no mental stimulation and when we are dealing with anxiety we need to exercise the mind and the body. If you are unable to exercise one day then make sure to have some stimulating toys for him to play with like puzzle boxes.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello one more question, hes just been on his back lay on the bed and the tip is still out.?? Hes never been left for more than 3/4 hours until now where it has increased. Hes recently been peeing and pooing on the floors whilst weve been out too. Going to look at a pet sitter and come home from work on dinner breaks etc as I would of never put it down to anxiety! Thanks

So you can try a few different things:
Use your finger and digitally "stuff" the tip back in then hold your fingers together to keep the tip in for a few moments and release to see if the tip will stay in. You may need a little vaseline or ky jelly to slip things back into place.
If it still will not stay in you can use a little granulated sugar to shrink the tip if it is still engorged and then repeat the above.
I hope this helps...never a dull moment with a little boy dog!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. I am going to be taking a short dinner break but will monitor for any additional responses. If you are satisfied with our conversation please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!