Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 7 year old cross samoyed who has recently been

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old cross samoyed bitch who has recently been shedding hair for about 2 months. She usually sheds twice a year, but this year she is losing large quantities all over her body she seems to be in good health, lots of energy, bright eyes and much more playful than she has been in the past. We feed her on a raw food diet mixed with Science plan kibble and her appertite is good. Can you shed any light on this condition?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Well, it may not be significant at all. It just depends on how much undercoat has developed, and therefore, the degree of shedding to observe. At this age, and with no other symptoms of skin infections, crusting, patchy areas of complete hair loss, I have no reason to suspect any endocrine conditions like hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) or other endocrine diseases like Cushing's.

If you were to start seeing any patchy areas where skin is showing, that would warrant veterinary examination.
Also, if she happens to be licking or chewing her feet a lot, that could also suggest an envioronmental allergy that could be exacerbating some of the hair loss.

Dr. Altman :

It is possible that this is just an unusually heavy seasonal shed, but if the problem is persisting, and she's seeming to have thin hair afterwards, I might consider some blood tests to check for hormonal abnormalities such as hypothyroidism or cushing's disease. Either of these issues can cause poor hair coat or excess shedding/ thinning coat

Dr. Altman :

Also make sure your fish oil supplement is sufficient for her size, high in omega fatty acids. For a Samoyed she should be getting 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily in her diet

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-g8k7ofq6- :

Dear Dr Altman

JACUSTOMER-g8k7ofq6- :

Thank you for this information - I will try her on a higher dose of fish oil and if that doesn't work I will get a blood test. she isn't scratching or biting

Hopefully this format is more readily viewable. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!
I apologize, I have a note you have responded but see no additional comments. Could you please restate your additional information? Thank you for your patience...
The only response I see is "Dear Dr. Altman..." and nothing else. Could you refresh your browser perhaps and see if that resolves the issue?
I FINALLY am able to read your responses, yay! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. If you are satisfied with my responses please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!