Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

hi my dog is an American bulldog well I take him out every

hi my dog is an American bulldog well I take him out every day in all weathers he is very social and likes to wrestle any way hes got on his chest what looks like aspot but it looks like it is getting bigger and wont scab over any ideas and help would be gratefull .thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Buster has this spot on his chest!

Dr. Altman :

If it is an area he can reach to lick then he has to wear a cone to stop the behavior because the oral bacteria will definitely cause an infection where there might not be one

Dr. Altman :

You can use an oatmeal-based dog shampoo for ten minutes twice daily initially over the area to reduce any debris and infection then taper as it improves

Dr. Altman :

I do not tend to use ointments or salves, it tends to lock in moisture and not allow the wound to drain and dry out

Dr. Altman :

If itching you can use 1 mg/ pound benadryl every 8-12 hours to help reduce itching. This might initially cause mild sedation

Dr. Altman :

If you can photograph the area with a ruler once daily to monitor for improvement that would be great as well

Dr. Altman :

But if there is no improvement or it is progressively getting bigger then it is time to have your veterinarian evaluate the spot to ensure there is nothing that requires therapy such as a prescription shampoo, antibiotics or antifungals to resolve the lesion

Dr. Altman :

So, keeping the lesion clean and dry with bathing and preventing licking and if there is no change then it is time to have your vet evaluate the area to ensure further therapy is not needed

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am going to change formats in a few moments to ensure you are able to view my responses and ask any additional questions you might have. You may have to "refresh" your browser to see any additional comments on my part if you respond in live chat format. Thank you!

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Hopefully this format is more readily viewable to you. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!