Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi my dogs eaten a bag of wine Gums and a bag of Jelly Babies

Hi my dogs eaten a bag of wine Gums and a bag of Jelly Babies while I've been out.. The bags were of a medium size and my dog is. German Shepard cross weighing about 33 kilos.. Appart from him drinking loads are there any other side effects I should look for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you list the ingredients of the wine gums and jelly babies?
2- How long has it been since he ate them?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, as My dog is at my partners at the moment, so I don't have the packets. He would have eaten them between midday and five this evening. One again I can't be specific as I wasn't there .
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
We are in different time zone so telling me time would not help me. Can you tell me how many hours since he ate them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its 18.00hrs here so he ate them within the last six hours.. I imagine fairly soon after I left him at midday, so shall we say six hours.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jane, I have looked at the ingredients for both wine gums and jelly babies and they are mainly made of glucose syrup, sugar, gelatin, etc. This will not be toxic for your dog. But, because of the high sugar content he may develop vomiting or diarrhea otherwise he will be fine. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian, he may need additional medication (metronidazole).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter