Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My dog won't eat. My vet has checked her out thoroughly, an

Customer Question

My dog won't eat. My vet has checked her out thoroughly, an x-ray, scan and blood tests for kidney, liver and pancreas. She will not eat regular dog food so for the last week I have fed her cooked turkey but she needs encouragement to eat that. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you please tell me your dog's age, breed, and whether she's intact (spayed) or not? I also need to know what "scan" implies - ultrasound, CT, MRI? I would be pleased to review any test results that you have. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My dog Boots is 9 years old . She is a GS/collie and was spayed shortly after we got her from the rescue centre when she was 7 months. In September last year she broke her cruciate ligament which was mended. In November her long time companion had to be put to sleep. aged 16. In March she had a cancerouus tumour removed from her throat and in may she managed to strain her other cruciate ligament which fortunately did not break. She has been reluctant to eat for 2 months and when the vets took her for examination (x-ray and ultra sound) I think we were all expecting to find more tumours. It will be difficult today to obtain any scan or x-ray results as the vets only run an emergency clinic on Saturdays.

During the day Boots has my daughter's dog as a companion and we have also got a cat who keeps both dogs in check. He has been living with us for a year and both dogs are respect him!

Boots has had very loose faeces for some time, even before she became reluctant to eat. This week I have been feeding her cooked turkey which she is quite keen to eat but seems to be having a more drastic effect on her motions!

I am not sure whether my dog's loss of appetite is physical or psychological and would value your opinion.

Thank you for the additional information. The cancer and diarrhea are clues that shouldn't be overlooked. Such persistent inappetence (and, I expect, weight loss) is consistent with cancer that has metastasized. Persistent diarrhea suggests that the cancer has metastasized to the gastrointestinal tract. Infiltrative cancer such as lymphoma may be missed in scans and only identified by scoping and biopsying the GI tract.

It would be helpful to know what kind of cancerous tumor was in her throat. Some readily metastasize; some don't. Considering the history you're provided, I don't believe Boots has a psychological problem; rather, a life-threatening medical one. I regret that I can't be more specific from here. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried to download your answer but there is a server error and I can't access anything from 'just answer' i don't know if you can send it again some other way?

This is what I typed last: "Thank you for the additional information. The cancer and diarrhea are clues that shouldn't be overlooked. Such persistent inappetence (and, I expect, weight loss) is consistent with cancer that has metastasized. Persistent diarrhea suggests that the cancer has metastasized to the gastrointestinal tract. Infiltrative cancer such as lymphoma may be missed in scans and only identified by scoping and biopsying the GI tract.

It would be helpful to know what kind of cancerous tumor was in her throat. Some readily metastasize; some don't. Considering the history you're provided, I don't believe Boots has a psychological problem; rather, a life-threatening medical one. I regret that I can't be more specific from here. Please continue our conversation if you wish."
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.