Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cocker spaniel has developed an itch all over her body,

My cocker spaniel has developed an itch all over her body, she is 10 year old and although I didn't find any fleas on her, I treated her with a flea remedy, but doesn't make any difference, is there something I can do to help her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Poppy has been scratching for 2 weeks

There is no abnormality in the skin

She has a heart murmur from birth which has not given any problems

She weighs 1 stone 5 ounces

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Gladys, one of the most common causes for itchy skin in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). The first place to start is doing a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a food that has fish. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start her on Chlorpheniramine 2-4mg every 12 hours. You can buy Chlorpheniramine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Bath her once every 21 days and use an oatmeal based shampoo for dogs.

5- If after doing the above there is no improvement have her checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter