Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I want to know the benefits of spaying my 5 year old female

Customer Question

I want to know the benefits of spaying my 5 year old female westie? if I don't what are the health hazards for her?have I left it too late?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca :

Hello.

Rebecca :

Thank you for your question about Dolly.

Rebecca :

My name is***** am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

The biggest advantage to spaying her now, is to prevent a life threatening infection of the uterus, called a pyometra.

Rebecca :

You have not left it too late! I would consider having her spayed anytime now, when she is not in heat.

Rebecca :

A pyometra occurs after a heat. The uterus fills with pus, and usually has to be removed in an emergency surgery. Better to have her spayed as a scheduled, more routine procedure than an emergency.

Rebecca :

Spaying her now may also reduce her chances of mammary tumors. The younger a dog is spayed, the less likely they are to develop mammary tumors.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I never know when she is i n heat, no visible signs of blood spots

Rebecca :

Interesting. Does her vulva ever swell up at all?

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

is it possible it will not be effective for mammary tumours

Rebecca :

It is possible, at 5, you may have passed the point of it preventing mammary tumors. No way to know for sure.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I don't notice anything at all, even when she did her blood spots v scant

Rebecca :

But you definitely will prevent a possible pyometra. Even if her heats are not apparent, she could develop a pyometra.

Rebecca :

Dogs can also get tumors of the uterus, or ovaries.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

well that is great I wondered at putting her through the trauma of surgery

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

how long is it for her to recover from it?

Rebecca :

With an experienced surgeon, the surgery is usually not that traumatic. Often a spay can be done through a one inch incision. If she is older, her uterus may be larger, so her incision may be larger.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

oh I see

Rebecca :

Usually the recovery is not more than a day or two, although it takes a week or so for the incision to heal.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

thats wonderful

Rebecca :

Basic blood tests should be done, to be sure she is a good candidate for anesthesia.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

oh really

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I had male dog neutered before, he put on weight, which was what put me off noting doing earlier, will she put on much weight?

Rebecca :

Yes, definitely. I never anesthetize a dog without knowing some kidney and liver values, red and white blood cells counts.

Rebecca :

My dog is not an ounce overweight, she is 11, and was spayed when she was less than a year old.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I will go to vets Monday before hand then appreciate that info

Rebecca :

I do not over feed her! And keep her active.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

is that so thats great

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

That is wonderful info Rebecca thanks v much

Rebecca :

I don't think any dog, unless it has a condition such as hypothyroidism, cannot maintain a healthy weight.

Rebecca :

You are welcome!

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

you recommend I ask those questions first, perhaps they do blood screening on morning of surgery before surgery

Rebecca :

Yes, or do them a few days ahead of time.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

she is beautiful bouncy full of life little dog, I don't wish her to get overweight

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

that is great Rebecca

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

that is my questions answered

Rebecca :

Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions are answered.

Rebecca :

I will be checking back, to see how she is doing.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

yes I will do indeed

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I have her booked in for next Wednesday

Rebecca :

I hope she does well, and you have a lean and healthy dog for 10 more years at least!

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

thanks v much

Rebecca :

You are welcome.

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

I will go now and rate you as excellent

Rebecca :

Thanks!

JACUSTOMER-xiw43tjh- :

bye for now

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Aine,
How is Dolly doing?

Rebecca