Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi unfortunatley my dog Honey died with in 2 weeks of her illness.

Customer Question

Hi unfortunatley my dog Honey died with in 2 weeks of her illness. She was a short haired lurcher rescue I had her for 4 years with no problems and then she started drinking alot of water and we noticed she was wet on her chest as if she was leaking, when we took her to the vets they said she had a tummy bug was given medication for her which she took but to no avale. Took her back 3 days later was told she was dehydrated, had problems taking blood from her, then she went off her food, she stayed over night in the vets, they managed to take blood put a line in and she managed to eat a bit of food. Took her home but by then she deteriorated looked like skin and bone and had lost the fight. We had to put her to sleep They never told us what was wrong as she was to weak to have an operation for a biopsy. Any indications of what she may have had.
Thankyou. Susan
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

My condolences for your loss of Honey.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of Honey's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com

Polydipsia (increased thirst) is seen with liver and kidney insufficiencies, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus (rare), Cushing's disease, Addison's disease, hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), hypokalemia (decreased serum potassium level), and urinary tract infection involving the kidneys. The fluid "leaking" from her chest suggests anasarca which defines a severe subcutaneous edema seen with right-sided heart failure and hypoalbuminemia (decreased serum albumin level - albumin is a small protein necessary to keep fluid within vessels and out of "third spaces" such as under the skin). Hypoalbuminemia can arise secondary to a poorly functioning liver unable to produce enough albumin or albumin lost through poorly functioning kidneys or through the gastrointestinal tract.

Polydipsia plus subcutaneous edema, then, is more likely to result from either advanced kidney disease (the nephrotic syndrome) or advanced liver disease. I could be more acccurate after reviewing any test results you might be able to upload here.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.