Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog (male, black Labrador, 11mths old) has been sneezing

My dog (male, black Labrador, 11mths old) has been sneezing for three days. He mostly sneezes when he gets excited (like me or my partner coming home or a bit of playing) he also starts sneezing more as soon as we get out of the house for a walk. Its just sneezing with a clear runny nose. He has been vaccinated for parvo a couple of months back. I haven't taken him to park for a couple of days just around the block so he can get a vee and poo as we don't have a garden. Sometimes the breathing sound becomes quite
loud but only for a few seconds. He has only pawed at tho nost a couple of times. He hasn't had any allergies before. Also he eats well wants to play (yet sleeps a bit more) I have sat for 5 mins twice today under a blanket with him and a pot full of hot peppermint and honey tea to create moisture underneath the blanket. The sneezing is less than the first day but just wanted to enquire what it could be and what else can I do with home remedies to help him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Does this discharge come from both nostrils or just one?

Customer:

I think both as sometimes it comes from one and the other time from the other. It ids clear like water and very runny which is why he licks it of as soon as it comes out so is hard to really determine

Dr. Susan :

OK, at his age, I wonder about t

Dr. Susan :

he p

Dr. Susan :

o

Dr. Susan :

oops! let me try that again.

Dr. Susan :

I wonder about the possibility of something foreign in his nos

Dr. Susan :

Good

Dr. Susan :

n

Dr. Susan :

es

Dr. Susan :

I'm terribly sorry, that's really annoying.

Customer:

Shell he is not pawing too much at it. Just once or twice a day.

Customer:

I meant 'well' sorry

Dr. Susan :

You can use a saline nasal spray to help flush anything out.

Dr. Susan :

The fact that it is clear discharge is good, usually infectious causes will have yellow or greenish discharge.

Dr. Susan :

We can also try an antihistamine for a possible allergy.

Dr. Susan :

About how much does he weigh?

Customer:

Is it just the one for humans that I use? And do I apply it thre same way?

Customer:

About 32kgs

Dr. Susan :

As long as it is a regular saline spray - non medicated, then yes. The rest is the same.

Dr. Susan :

At 32 kgs you can give him 3 tablets of diphenhydramine (25mg each) every 8-12 hours.

Dr. Susan :

You could also try 10mg cetirizine or 10mg loratadine once daily.

Customer:

What do each of those help with specifically?

Dr. Susan :

They are all antihistamines, so I would only use one at a time as a trial. These would help if the sneezing and discharge are due to an allergy.

Customer:

Which one would be best in this case?

Dr. Susan :

I generally start with diphenhydramine first.

Dr. Susan :

Then, if not helping you can try another. Dogs are like humans in that one medication may work better for one individual.

Customer:

And the saline should be purchased in a pharmacy but cannot be medicated. Is there a specific label on there that I could look out for?

Dr. Susan :

Unfortunately I'm not sure in the UK, I live and practice in the US.

Dr. Susan :

Here I would look for something called "Little Noses:

Customer:

So if I buy smth that I can give to children that should be fine?

Dr. Susan :

Just make sure it is a plain saline spray. You don't want any decongestant products in the spray.

Customer:

OK that's great advice thank you so much!

Dr. Susan :

You're very welcome!

Dr. Susan :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

Would another question go under the same price or a higher one?

Dr. Susan :

It's all based on time. Same price if you choose!

Customer:

The price I was equated at the beginning was £14 what time frame does that cover?

Dr. Susan :

It's supposed to be only 10 minutes, but I paused the timer :)

Customer:

Ah thank you! I am going to go to the vets about his paw in a week or so if it does not get better. Basically it is this wart like bump on the side of his front paw. It used to have blood in it but we used Epsom salt in warm water and now it it is just the wart type bump. It is a bit sensitive.

Dr. Susan :

Did it grow slowly or pop up suddenly?

Customer:

Well at the beginning it poped up to the size of tick (which we thought it was, but then by looking closer it was just a blood pimple). Then it grew bigger in the next couoplke of days and has remained this size.

Dr. Susan :

Is it hairless?

Customer:

Yes it was hairless. Now it is just really hard.

Dr. Susan :

Did it look like this initially?

Full Size Image

Customer:

The espom salt is used to draw out foreign bodies. It was recommended by a vet. I think it just drew out the fluids

Customer:

Yes. And then he popped it twice and blood came out

Dr. Susan :

Great, I think we are dealing with something called a histiocytoma.

Dr. Susan :

These are benign growths that usually resolve without treatment within 2-3 months.

Dr. Susan :

If it is not gone by 3 months time, then I do recommend removing it surgically for biopsy.

Dr. Susan :

Here is a handout to read more about histiocytomas.

Customer:

That's great help! Thank you so much! If I have any other issues crop up I will definetley come back to you for some preliminary advice!

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome!!!

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics